Good day and welcome to episode 5 of the Dongfang Hour, the China Aerospace and Tech Podcast. Today we are discussing China’s funky space industry. Before going into our list of funky projects, we will have two definitions of “funky” in this episode:
- Plain old funky. This refers to projects that are funky in every sense of the word–funky technologies, business models, etc. This includes space planes, solar harvesting, and electromagnetic rockets.
- Funky in an “only in China” way. This refers to companies buying orbital slots as a way of moving money out of China, or online video giants that can justify buying their own EO satellite.
Without further ado, the links to our list of funky projects:
- Space planes
- CASIC’s Five Clouds
- Electromagnetic launch
- Commsat/LadyBeetle Selfie Satellite
- Artificial Moon/Chengdu Death Star
- Video with information on the program
- Article debunking the project as an “academic study” rather than a real business
- Chongqing as future solar harvesting center of China
Thanks again for listening, and we look forward to seeing you next time!